Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Blogs We Love

Lori:

Over there --> is a list of blogs we follow. Carolyn and I have different blogs we follow and some similar blogs and some that are self-explanatory and some that aren’t …

And some like walking in the rain and drinking banana daiquiris on the beach. This one likes blue and that one likes pink and they all smell so good…

So we decided to give a little explanation to some of them.

The Cupcake Addict: This is my friend Melisa who happens to love cupcakes the way I love Spaniards. That means that she wants to be sexxoring some cupcakes. It might not be hygienic but I try not to judge.

Truth be told, Melisa loves cupcakes in a real way. She likes to eat them, bake them and judge them. If you have any interests in cupcakes, check out my friend the addict. And tell her that Lori sent you. She might bring me a cupcake that way.

Scott Positive: Scott is another friend of mine who recently discovered that he’s HIV+. To say the balance of his life changed would be true, but well… Scott’s outlook is positive and his personality is sunny delightful.

Scott does tackle some uncomfortable issues regarding same sex relationships and the world of HIV. He’s worth checking out.

One Crazy Aussie Smidgette: Our Lea. Lea is my protégé. She’s a sweet, little Australian girl who writes, dreams, needs to get laid and uses incomprehensible language.

When I become a true evil mastermind, Lea will be my mini-me.

Texting Between the Sheets: This is a group blog run by the Text-Novel Divas. I’m not going to try to name them all but here’s a few things about them worth knowing: They all write. Many/most are published. They’re nicer than chocolate chip cookies but not quite as nice as Belgian chocolates.

One of them slept with Brad Pitt.

Dear Author: Dear Author is a mixed bag. Its stated purpose is that it’s a review site for romance novels. It’s also a place that discusses electronics, the publishing business and issues that a handful of people care very passionately about.

The reviews are pretty good. Jane reads everything from category romance to sci-fi romance and her reviews are usually thought provoking and intelligent. The best reviews, of course, are the ones where she hated the book. She can make my snark look like rose petals instead of vomit-crusted nastiness. Jane can have my baby.

The electronics: Not too interesting to me. But I did get an ereader so maybe she had some influence. If I get an i-pad then come disconnect me from the internet, okay?

Publishing biz and writing issues: Ah… this is where the real fun comes in. Because when those authors on DA get worked up about something it’s akin to a mob scene at a kindergarten. Oh they throw punches that rarely land anywhere, a few stand on the swings and pontificate (oh the joys of showing off an education) and well … it’s just a crazy-ass wonk fest and how can you not love it?


Carolyn:

Dear Author gets me all frazzled sometimes, especially the First Page. I religiously read the critiques and go "Oh lord" and rush off to rewrite the WIP. And then someone else posts and I go "Oh Lord" and I'm off again.

But I've bought books I would never have considered, thanks to the reviews there, so I do thank them for that. FLOWERS FROM THE STORM - I'm looking at you!! We'll be having a shared review of that one down the line.

Smart Bitches, Trashy Books is another site I check religiously. I love the humor. Run by Sarah and Candy. Candy is conspicious by her absence these days, she's gearing up to become a damn lawyer! But Sarah's coping just fine. You'll find reviews, contests, videos and opinion pieces, along with interviews of authors and such folk.

Speaking of contests - did I tell you I won one? You should know this thing, I've posted it every damn where! Yes indeedy, I won a book. First time I've ever won anything, I think. And Sarah sent me the nicest email, so now I'm her slave forever. *grin* Wish this place had emoticons, I LOVE emoticons!

Oh - and Sarah and Candy are PUBLISHED AUTHORS! Beyond Heaving Bosoms: The Smart Bitches' Guide to Romance Novels. Yup. Funny and on target.

And lord, I love her reviews! She should put together a book of them. Funny and just a joy to read.

Another site I like is Ramblings on Romance with Kristy J. She's Canadian and lives close to my old stomping grounds. She has spreadsheets for her books!!! Her blog is a combination of reviews and Kristy stuff and fun to read. She even pulled me into commmenting! Now that's pretty good.

Just discovered Helen and Margaret's blog. Frankly, it gave us the idea for this one. It's a political blog, but these ladies are funny as hell and don't take any nonsense. I'd advise Republicans to stay away though, lol.

There are a few others I check out now and then, but these are the biggies, and for me the most enjoyable. There's always lots of links to further my education and I've often been sucked (suckered) into spending a whole morning just link hopping.

Good lord - who needs books when you've got these wonderful, talented bloggers?

6 comments:

  1. "When I become a true evil mastermind, Lea will be my mini-me."

    Uh-oh...

    Mind you, I'm the right height lol. thanks for the recommendation ladies :)

    I'm slowly going through the links and have added Melissa. Mind you, I hven't commented yet so no free cupcake just yet Lori. I'll get on to that :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm, Lori?

    I've been thinking on this 'Mini Me' thing. I'm not gonna have to shave my head and get a pinky ring am I?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do I detect a trace of reluctance there, Lea?? Got to throw yourself in wholeheartedly, you know. MJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, you shave your head first... I can't pull off the no hair look so maybe you can do that bit for me.

    I do ahve a pinky ring somewhere though...

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!! Oh my gosh - thank you! You send your thoughts out there and often don't know where they land. It's a thrill to see some have landed here *g*

    ReplyDelete