Saturday, February 13, 2010

Partnership 101

Lori:

Just like sex, sometimes writing is more fun with two.

Way back when Carolyn and I were able to touch our toes without our boobs hitting us in the face, we knew a couple of women who were writing a story together.

"I could never do that!" I exclaimed.

"I gotta go pee," Carolyn answered.

But the stage was set. Because anyone foolish enough to say never is almost always guaranteed they will. That explains tattoo's, strange piercings and that weird picture making the rounds of Carolyn in bed with a marching band and color-blind zebra.

We began writing together in epostilary form. A story told by emails flying across the continents detailing a love affair. Or two.

We've written stories together that had no flying emails. We've written it all and we always come back for more.

I think one of the reasons that our partnership works so well is that Carolyn lets me pretend to be in charge. I'm a bossy, little bitch and she knows to let me boss her around and pretend I have control.

What I imagine happens after we hang up the phone:

"John honey, Lori just told me what to do again. Where'd I put that voodoo doll?"


Carolyn
:

Lori has such a great sense of humor (how'd she find out about my doll??)

Okay - here's the REAL truth.

We're vampires!!

Yes indeedy, we feed off each other. We egg each other on. And too, we compliment each other.

One strange thing though: Lori always has to start our stories. She sets the tone, whether it be humor or angst or anything in between. It takes me a bit to get into a groove and then - hoo boy, the words, they fly!

The only thing I worry about now is that we'll both forget what having sex is like. I mean we're two old farts. I mean that if we were men, we'd have trouble getting it up.

What do we do then? Huh?



Lori
:

Considering how our bodies are falling apart, we're zombies, not vampires.

But to get serious for a minute, I think Carolyn and I share a few beliefs about writing that makes it easier to do together. We're both invested in the poetry of writing. It just needs to sound purty.

We can wax poetic at each other for ages, enjoying a cleverly crafted line or a well thought out phrase. I know there's a lot of people who would demand we take out the poetry but they can just go tell someone else how to do it.

We like our poetry.

We also like our humor. When you want to see us shine, let us joke. And since we make each other laugh ... it's heaven.



Carolyn:

And that is why Lori leads. :-)

4 comments:

  1. I can shake my head and wonder how it is you two work but you're as crazy as each other so it's like a match made in heaven.

    That's good enough for me. Keep it up ladies :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Partner and palaver if you like, but I would insist on better underwear, Carolyn. You are not in a dominant position clad like that!! MJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. She doesn't care to be Dom, MJ. She likes the submissive role.

    Lori

    ReplyDelete