Monday, August 9, 2010

Genres I Hate

I'm sticking my neck out here and admitting that I read Hummingbird by LaVeryle Spencer (as should you) and loved it but I don't have the love for westerns. There's something intrisically tired with the cowboy and the school-marm.

Even Victoria Dahl couldn't do it with B/D.

Urban fantasy. Blech. When the heroine is a kick-ass, smart-ass ass I just don't give a rats ass.

Modern romances based on the novels of Jane Austen. Outlaw them already.

YA. What's the fucking point? I read adult novels as a teen. Why would I read teen novels as an adult?

What about you?

3 comments:

  1. Okay, the urban fantasy thing absolutely cracked me up.

    While I am not a big fan of historical westerns, I do love contemporary westerns where the cowboys wear Wranglers and drive pickups. Not really big on the horseback stuff, and I grew up on a farm.

    Great post. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would tend to agree with you, but I discovered after the fact that many books I loved were YA. Mercedes Lackey's Herald series, Robin McKinley's Blue Sword duo and others of hers, Megan Whalen Turner's Thief series. And isn't Harry Potter YA?

    I wish I could figure out what genre Patricia Briggs fits into. If it's urban, then I disagree with you about that too, lol. Oh, and Ilona Andrews!

    I think for me, it all boils down to the writing. A good storyteller can pull me in and make me believe, no matter what the genre is. But you have to tiptoe through the book minefield and chose carefully. That's why blogs and word of mouth from friends have become so important to me.

    Btw, I'm not liking Lady Isabella's Scandelous Marriage so much .... Drat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tend to agree with you except for the YA. Now, are you telling me that you didn't read and love Harry Potter?
    I do read and enjoy many of the YA books out there. The ones with the whinny girls, I can leave those alone but many of the paranormals are excellent. The biggest thing I like about them is that they are paced fast. Teen readers aren't going to sit around for 100 pages while the author gets the action started. They want it now & this is what has captured my attention, the fact that they tell a story quickly and neatly.

    ReplyDelete