Friday, March 4, 2011

Dear Lori

Spring is trying to sprung here in the south. Pear and plum trees are flowering. They always remind me of Anne of Green Gables and the descriptions of the fruit trees therein. They are truly beautiful and lacey is just the right adjective to describe them.

Magnolias are blooming too. They make me sort of sad; the life of the blossoms is so brief and the base of the trees are surrounded with purpley-white petals scattered about haphazardly. A beautiful death. Soon the azaleas and forsythia will get into the act and finally the crep myrtle.

This time of year the south is like a fairyland. This is also the time of year we have the Pilgrimage, a tour of some of the stately historical houses, set against a backdrop of pink and white and yellow blossoms.

On a completely different note, I just finished C S Harris' Where Shadows Dance, the sixth of the Sebastian St Cyr mysteries. I don't really give a rat's ass about the mysteries, it's the relationships that have captured me. I love Sebastian. He's a highly intelligent and honorable young man, who's seen and experienced a lot of bad things in his short life. Although each book has a self contained mystery, the romantic arc stretches and grows throughout all the books. In the beginning, Sebastian is involved with two women, Kat Bolyn and Hero Jarvis. Emotions change slowly. Characters take their time gaining new insights.

Since Sebastian is such an honorable man, I think that Kat's role in his life will change and become smaller. The ending of this book gave me hope that eventually he would find his HEA. I can't wait for the next one!

I love series like this one and the In Death books. Things don't get squeezed into a tiny box but are allowed room to evolve believably.

Thank you Connie for steering me to the St Cyr mysteries. I owe you one, lol.

Carolyn

No comments:

Post a Comment