Monday, June 27, 2011

Killing the Baby

Dear Carolyn,

Last night I realized the reason I was so stuck witht he story I was writing and it was because it was terrible. The plot was all over the place, the romance came from nowhere and it was major fail in all ways.

So last night mt 10 year old and I talked and we came up with a more streamlined plot so... I deleted the old file.

I can imagine your wince of pain. You and I are so different this way. To me, if a story isn't working and you aren't that close to the end: scrap the damned thing. I'm not sentimental. You are I know, and can't stand to leave something undone.

But I realized that without a plot written out (a nice little outline) I was going to fail. And as I worked on it, the story was different but tighter. The climax of the story originally was happening too soon, now it'll be a proper climax. The love can evolve at a proper pace and it makes more sense.

I hated killing the baby but it was necessary. And I know you probably saved a copy so I have no issues.

1 comment:

  1. Oh noes!!

    You are such a ruthless woman. I cower before you. I tremble in fear and awe.

    And I'm feeling better - can you tell? :-D

    ReplyDelete