Saturday, July 16, 2011

A Reply to Lori's Big List of No

*grin*

Actually, I think the redheads appeared in books to protest all the damn blondes that were hogging the heroes. It was never really an organized rebellion, but it took off anyway.

Seriously, you've only got 3 choices. Blonde, brunette or redhead. Most folks are somewhere in between those choices but it doesn't matter because ....

Excessive description is out. What's a writer to do? Go with the less used color until it's the most used color and then start back at the beginning. Makes sense, if you think about it.

I gave some of those opinions a fair shake. I did! Well, I tried to. As an example: long, lustrous hair. OMG, it even had alliteration! But I was strong. First I took out long. So I was left with mediocre shiny hair. Meh. Then I tried taking out lustrous. I was then left with long, colorless hair that didn't shine.

Decisions, decisions ...

Now she's bald, or might as well be, because hair is no longer in the equation. We need a bald heroine. It would keep the hero from getting hair balls. :-)

Seriously though, you're right. We can't please everybody. We can't even please the same people consistently. We can only do what we feel is right, in our hearts, in our guts, in our toenails. And then let our editor smack us around, lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment