Friday, June 8, 2012

Swoon Worthy Moments by Lea


I don’t want to state the obvious here but I’m a girl. Hardly newsworthy but what I can no longer deny is the fact that I am a ‘girly’ girl - seriously. You wouldn’t know it to look at me and of course I’ve been known to cuss like a sailor but deep down I’m just a big pile of goo.

I’ve always suspected of course (I cry at commercials or trailers for movies at the cinema) but it hit me earlier today when I was watching an episode of the Practice. All it took was three little words. And no, it wasn’t ‘I love you’, it was ‘I’ll take it’. Let me set the scene.

Violet has started sleeping with a younger man (Scott) after she and her hubby separated. They didn’t do IT straight off, just kinda hung out together for a bit first. Anyway, in TV land time, they’ve been at it a while and she’s loving the freedom of sex without commitment etc. He on the other hand has decided that he would like to start to bond with her son, have her meet his friends etc.

Throughout the hour she’s obviously thinking about this and after spending a night with her son and husband she goes to see Scott and tell him the truth – she’s in it for the hot, mind blowing sex and that’s it (paraphrasing here lol), she then says it’s either sex or nothing. That’s when he says ‘I’ll take it’.

**Swoon**

Sure, it’s probably not going to end with a walk down the aisle and kids but in that moment, I was just all gooey and girly. Especially so because in an earlier episode, before they had slept together, Violet had been beaten and gone around to his place and he said words to the effect of they didn’t have to sleep together or anything but he would be there for her, for whatever she needed. He had me at that line.

Whilst neither line was a declaration of love, just the way they were spoken and in the context of the scene around it, I found them both to be romantic. It got me to thinking then about other lines, be it in movies, books, or even real life that are swoon worthy.

Sure, there is the obvious ‘you complete me’ or ‘you had me at hello’, but how many more have there been? I suspect, for me at least, that it doesn’t always have to be a romantical line or even said in a romantic setting. Something like ‘Nobody puts Baby in the corner’ will do.

How about songs? The only song I like by the Doors is ‘Hello, I love, won’t you tell me your name’. I get a total kick out of that. Hmm, it might even make a nice story... lol.

Because I have a mind like a sieve, I’ve completely forgotten the other quotes I wanted to use, but they were good – trust me J  So, who out there has more suggestions? I know the Old Farts did a post not long ago (April 28) about using gestures to say I love you, rather than words. What about ways to say it, without saying it?

2 comments:

  1. Answering your questions would require me to think. I don't do much of that these days.

    I do believe though, that there's a fine line between a swoon worthy line and a pickup line. ;-) For example, 'you had me at hello' sounds like a pickup line to me. But I'm so far out of the dating scene, what do I know?

    It would be much easier to differentiate in a movie than a book because it would all depend on how the line was delivered.

    I do know what you mean, though. I just can't think of an example. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, songs. The line in Santana's Smooth just kills me: "I would change my life to better suit your mood..."

    ReplyDelete