Thursday, July 5, 2012

The Genesis of a Book

Lookie, lookie, lookie.

Lea goes through a lot of covers before the perfect one is found. This book is sort of a cosy mystery (very light on the mystery) that takes place in the 1920s. It's also a love story between a married couple.

Lea sent this first:






















I decided I liked the first one with a smaller crown. So, then she decided to add some color and try out some different lighting - did I mention this takes place in Old Hollywood?

I really like the red but I don't like the lights.


I like the lights but the blue's a little dark- the gentleman's hat brim is invisible. There's still work to do on this cover, but I think it's shaping up well. I'm so proud of Lea.

I've heard, though, that 'cartoon' characters are no longer 'in'.  They do sort of make me think of chic lit, which this isn't, btw. It's a light hearted murder mystery, fluffy even, but with some dark moments and some dark depths to the characters. Everyone has coping mechanisms and Vivi and Carlos have found theirs.

So. Do these figures work for you? I can't find a male image I like; there's very few at all in this time period and no women that I think would represent Vivi well. This cartoon figure does. Frivolous on the outside, solid as a rock on the inside.

What do you think of when you look at this cover? Would you give the book a chance?

3 comments:

  1. I love the red cover because the red just pops. But the blue cover is sensual and I love it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the red and the lighting of the last. I prefer the lettering of the last too

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the figures are just right for how you describe the story. I like the red cover best, though the shape of the light ray sseems off, somehow.

    ReplyDelete