Saturday, August 4, 2012

Gunmetal Magic

I just finished Gunmetal Magic and loved it. I remarked to Lori that it seemed so short, I wasn't ready for it to end.

Over on her blog, Ilona Andrews says she's been getting email complaints that the book's too short. She says the book is 111,407 words in Word.

Good lord, I never realized. The book whipped by so fast, it seemed much shorter. Plus, I could never carve out a big enough chunk of time to just sit down and enjoy a long read.

I see what it is. When a writer and a book are good enough to pull you into their world and keep you there, time flies and you just don't want to let go. You don't realize how much is happening and that eventually it must end. This is what Gunmetal Magic did to me.

I'm going to make time and reread at my leisure instead of inhaling it in big gulps, taking time to savour the characters (especially Roman ♥), the plot and the writing.

I love those crazy boudas and I think Andrea will fit in just fine.  :-)

1 comment: