Friday, November 9, 2012

Amazon is a Life Saver

I'm truly coming to rely on Amazon for just about everything.

I wanted something light but traditional for the Thanksgiving holiday dessert and I found a recipe for pumpkin pie that didn't involve baking and which did involve Jello instant pudding. I never knew they made pumpkin pudding, which proves you're never too old to learn something new.

I don't live in a big city, so my choices are limited. I ran to WalMart on my lunch hour today but struck out. My husband was going out for milk when I got home with the car, so I asked him to look at Winn Dixie. Hell, he doesn't even know where the pudding mixes are located, so I figured my chances were low to nil that he'd come home with  a couple of boxes.

And then - he became my hero! He said, and I quote, "Why don't you try Amazon?"

So, I did.

And it was there! Under Grocery and Gormet Foods!

Now I can try the recipe, which I found at Kraft Foods. You wanna see it?

Kraft Pumpin Pie


Triple-Layer Pumpkin Spice Pie


2 pkg Jell-o Pumpkin Spice Flavor Instant Pudding
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
2 cups cold milk
1 graham pie crust (6 oz)
1 8 oz tub of Cool Whip
1/2 cup pecan halves
1 tbsp honey

Beat pudding mixes, cinnamon and milk in medium bowl with whisk 2 minutes; spread 1 1/2 cups onto bottom of crust.

Stir 1 1/2 cups Cool Whip into remaining pudding; spread over pudding layer on crust. Top with remaining Cool Whip.

Refrigerate one hour. Meanwhile, cook nuts and honey in skillet on medium-low heat 2-4 minutes or until nuts are caramelized, stirring frequently. Spread onto waxed paper, separating larger clusters. Cool.

Sprinkle nuts over pie just before serving.


I've found lot of things at Amazon that I can't find in my town. It saves me money. Not only am I a Prime member, so there's no shipping fee on most things, but it saves the cost of gasoline. I no longer have to go to a larger town/city and fumble through stores I'm not familiar with. I fear the shopping bug was left out of my genes (unless it's books), something my friends just can't understand.

I'm experiencing a lot of things I never had the chance to in my younger years. The internet is a window into the big bad world, but there are enough good and enjoyable things to keep me coming back for more.

Hope you find all the things you need to make a fabulous Thanksgiving meal.
 

3 comments:

  1. Mollie and I have agreed to make a Thanksgiving meal of food that we love instead of traditional. And I might try the Kraft pumpkin cheesecake because it looks easy and delish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carolyn, I'll be up for a slice when you're done! SOunds delish!

    I too love Amazon, having found quite a few things there I can't get down here. Postage is dodgy and expensive ($25 to post a single book, I don't think so!) and I really have to justify what it is I get but more times than not I hit buy and it's soon on its way.

    Give Hubby an extra big slice, for leading you in the right direction lol.

    Lori, sounds like a great idea. Why cook all the stuff you don't like because it's what's expected? Best to go with the faves. I'll be stopping by there after I've been to Carolyn's lol.

    Happy Turkey day to y'all that celebrate when it comes around. I'm saving up to get up there one of these years to have my first (along with Halloween and a white Christmas lol) so watch out.


    ReplyDelete
  3. So I'm going to take Lea for Thanksgiving and Christmas. She can do New Year's with you Red and have some Monkey Bread.

    We'll have to send her to Ree for gluten free but then maybe to Lyndee for fun (and Lyndee is the ambassador of all).

    Then she can come back to me to reclog her arteries and we'll send her home exhausted, fat and happy.

    ReplyDelete