Saturday, August 2, 2014

What Lori's Read Recently

Once Upon a Winter's Eve by Tessa Dare

I usually love Tessa Dare whereas Carolyn can't read her. This was a Spindle Cove story and well, it was dreadful. I think I finished it only because Tessa Dare usually delights me but this ... well, no. It was a story that took place one night with a ball being interupted by a stranger who might be an enemy or a spy and only one woman can translate his speech...
and he's her ex-lover and he came to find her and he is a spy and needs to escape and well, the story was ridiculous and silly and not fun to read.


Brazen  by Kelley Armstrong

From the Underworld series this was a novella centering on the pack but not with Elena and Caleb and anyway, it didn't matter because I couldn't get very far into it before I stopped. Just uninteresting. And any character who's described as being super sexy and better than the average man is just boring to me.

Omens: A Cainsville Novel by Kelley Armstrong

OMG! You'd think I wouldn't try another Armstrong after Brazen but I opened this novel and once I started reading I was pissed anytime the world pulled me away.
The heroine is a spoiled heiress who discovers (in a bad way) that she was adopted and her parents are serial killers. Wow!
And her possible love interest is a total nutball lawyer who'd sell his mother for money. Seriously, the man cannot turn down money at all. It's an obsession.
And there's magic. And mysteries. And the writing was so good...  Book 2 (it's a trilogy) comes out in a week and I'm sick with happiness waiting for it.

Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews

Carolyn has been bugging me to read the Kate Daniels series like forevah and I just haven't gotten around to it. Well I finally did and I liked it. I like Kate because she's a hard ass warrior who knows she's a hard ass warrior but there's a little envy and longing for femininity but not enough to make her not want to be who she is.
The world building is good although admittedly I skimmed a lot of it. I like the future love interest. I especially like that I've started Book 2 and they aren't doing the nasty. In fact, they dislike each other greatly. Which is the beginning of their dance so I'm enjoying that a lot.

In For A Penny  by Rose Lerner

This one started my reading binge and I have to say it's a really good book. An interesting historical which has a marriage of convenience between two rather young people with sudden responsibilities regarding land ownership and tenants and the issues of the day.
There was a feeling sometimes that too much was happening and I would have love the H/h to catch a break and have a little time to enjoy each other before the next issue came upon them, but again it was hard to put down and I really liked all the characters.

2 comments:

  1. You need to tell me when you've posted because I forget to check.

    Love all your choices except the Dare and evidently you didn't love it either, lol.

    As for Brazen: I think the series is called Otherworld, not Underworld and Elena's true love is Clay ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew I got Clay's name wrong but I couldn't be arsed to check ;)

    ReplyDelete