Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Nude Photos and Rape Culture

If you're not living under a rock currently, then you've heard about the hacker who hacked into the i-cloud and stole nude pictures of hundreds of women, most notably a number of celebrities.

Should I mention they were all women? That might be too obvious to have to mention.

In what's been interesting in reading about this is that as the usual people show up and say "What were they thinking? Never appear nude anywhere or you'll get what you deserve!" a number of others are saying no. No, women have a right to take photos of themselves. Women have a right to not have their pictures stolen and put online.

Wait a minute. What? Some people are suggesting the women themselves aren't to blame?

That's what's happening. For the first time that I can remember, people are actually pointing out that the hacker(s) is the one who broke the law, stole private property and did the wrong thing. And everyone who posts the pics and passes them around is perpetuating the crime.

It's a crime. It's a sex crime. And a lot of people seem to be insisting that people pay attention and stop blaming the victims.

Adding to that is the news that Cee-Lo Green pled guilty to drugging a woman's drink so he could have sex with her. Yup. She sued him and he plea bargained. But he also took to Twitter to point out that it can't be called rape if a woman is unconscious. According to Cee-Lo, it isn't rape if a woman can't remember it.

(So he drugs her so she passes out then fucks her while she's passed out but it isn't rape because she was passed out. Bet he thinks it isn't a crime in any way.)(I don't understand why he isn't in jail.)

BTW: Cee-Lo had a TV show that got cancelled. He's being called out by everyone alive for his rapey ways.

I know we have a long way to go but can I say that today the responses to these things made me feel happier. Rape isn't okay. Stealing women's photos aren't okay. And finally the world is starting to look at the larger picture and question why anyone might think that this is okay.

1 comment:

  1. I hope that honest people have always felt this way. Personally, I'd never want to take nekkid pics of myself, cloud or nor cloud. But that's just me. I'm not into self-nekkid pics. It is rather egotistic and I've never had any ego about my body.

    Regardless, stealing is stealing, whether from a store counter or a cloud somewhere in internetlandia, and should be a crime. I have no doubts there.

    As for the rapey thing - you're right, he should be in jail. Let's hope some woman spikes his drink so he's unconscious and she has a damn big dildo and educates him in nonconsensual sex. Asshole. Yes, double meaning there - see what I did?

    ReplyDelete