Monday, December 1, 2014

Writing Tics

It seems like just about every book I've read lately has the heroine biting or nibbling her lower lip. I can't say I've ever seen this habitually in RL. I've seen people catch their upper or lower lip between their teeth if they're in a quandary, but not very often. It's just not done often, especially if you're wearing makeup.


The think is, once you've seen it in a book, then it seems to happen every other page, or at least once a chapter. All I can think is that the heroine's lip must be very sore and raw and red.


Not a good look.


There also seems to be more whispering these days. Even the heroes have gotten into the habit. Couples have whole conversations in whispers. Very disconcerting. And what's the big secret anyway? They're usually alone, probably having or planning to have sex, and there's no one around to hear.


It might be meant to denote intimacy. But, if carried on too long, it gets me all upset. One day, one character is going to tell the other: "Would you repeat that? I couldn't hear you."


Ha.


I know there are more tics but these are the real biggies for me and I can't think of any others right now. But as soon as I start reading again, I'll come across one, sure as shooting.


How about you? Are there writer's tics that tick you off?

2 comments:

  1. I kind of hate reading about hair and make-up. Don't care about it in RL, sure as shit don't want to read about it.

    And I hate big misunderstandings because I don't believe the H/h can have an HEA if they've already proven they can't communicate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And the lip-biting is always incredibly sexy to the hero. Whoop de fuckin' do.

    I actually hate conversations like this, because as soon as someone points something out it starts to bug me forever. ;-)

    ReplyDelete