Friday, July 29, 2016

Feeling So Much Better

Watch President Obama talk about America and Americans and you start to find your footing again.

It's better.

The Democratic National Convention had some moments of brilliance and let's face it, I fan girl all over the Obamas and then back again so a little Michelle and Barack and I'm thinking, "oh my goodness, look at the pretty sun coming out from behind those nasty clouds".

And then, love her or hate her: Hillary Clinton secured the nomination and history was made.

History was fucking made.

I don't care who you are or how you feel about her: we watched history be made tonight and it felt amazing.

In my lifetime man walked on the moon, a black man became president, gays got the right to marry (and serve in the military and be treated like humans) and we just saw a woman get the nomination to run for President of the United States for the Democratic party.

Jeebus. What a great day.

Did I mention Obama's speech? Where he said, "ignore those haters who talk about storm clouds and let's look at that pretty sun together."

Well he might have said it a little differently but that's what I heard.

What a pretty sun. I think I'll walk in the light for a while.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, yes, yes.

    I move to the US twenty years ago this December, when my son was just over eight years old, my daughter not quite four. In that time, I've seen some incredibly hopeful things happen in public policy.

    Yes, make no mistake, there's a lot more work to be done, but damn it all, I've been crying all week, and thinking of my children and the future, and hoping, hoping, hoping.

    Here's to Miz Mollie, too, may the world be ever a more open, inclusive space by the time she is my son's age.

    Many hugs, Lori (and Carolyn)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes it all works out, it just does. And I'm gonna see the glass as half full rather than half empty. First time I've ever watched political speeches and I just gotta say, I want to marry Michelle Obama. What a great role model for the young women of today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is an amazing human being, isn't she? But then, I think the four of them have incredible grace and untold strength. May live forever smile on them.

      Delete