Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Garden Spells/Practical Magic: Sister and Spells

I was pondering a story in my head and it got me to thinking of one of my favorite books: Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen. Which got me thinking about Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman, whose book Story Sisters I'm reading right now. And it occurred to me that the books had similarities.

Both are books of magic. Both are books of sisters. Both have troubled sisters running away from abusive men. Both have a child involved, as well as female relations.

I thought they were interesting similarities. As though the common female experience is sisterhood, sister love and abuse at the hands of a man. But in these books the women rescue each other. There's love to be found but the HEA doesn't come from a man, it comes from a sister.

A novel feminist idea (that was a pun): women need to rescue each other for true happiness to be found. Sisters can't survive without their sisters.

Now I need to think of other books about sisters that have the same idea.

1 comment:

  1. The neat thing is, they don't need to be sisters by blood alone. Sisterhood can be formed in many ways. Remember the Belles?? ;-)

    And age does make a difference. Youngsters may not see or feel the bonds and connections but as they get older they get wiser too.

    Hope to read your contribution to the magic soon.

    ReplyDelete